[TenTec] Tentec 580 Delta Opionions vs Trition???

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Tentec 580 Delta Opionions vs Trition???
From: D Carlisle <w0uhf@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:02:14 -0800 (PST)
Hi all,
First time on the list.
I have the chance to purchase a used 580 Delta and
want to ask those who know, how good is the receiver
in the 580 and how does it compare to the Triton IV in
sensitivity, quietness, and dynamic range (copying a
weak cw signal with strong signals nearby.)
Why do I want a 580?
Well it was my dream rig as a novice. I passed my
novice at the end of 1979 and received my license in
Feb 1980. It was the rig I wanted but couldn't afford.
I cut my teeth on a Ten-tec Trition IV at the club
station at my junior high school.  (I think that
spoiled me forever.) I later purchased that same
Triton IV a couple years later when the club folded
and it was my rig for several years until I traded it
in on a Kenwood rice box. I did have the opportunity
in college to get a used 580 Delta, but ended up
selling it when I needed the money.
Anyway, after more years of owning Icoms, Kenwoods,
and Yaesus, I find myself on the 25th anaversery of
becoming a ham longing for an older Ten-tec again.
That short time I had a 580 I know I didn't like the
AGC action on it compaired to the Triton IV that I
had. I'm figuring that maybe there's probably an easy
mod that could fix that.
Other than that, how would you compair the receiver on
the 580 Delta to the Triton IV?
Somewhere on this list mentioned that the 580 has a
dual conversion receiver with a first IF of 11-11.5
MHz. With such a wide passband how does that effect
the dynamic range or is it not a problem?
The Delta I am looking at appears to be in good shape
for $275 but doesn't include the 17 or 12 meter
crystals, no noise blanker, and no optional filters.

Thanks and 73
Dan Carlisle, w0uhf