Re: [TenTec] Orion noise blanker

To: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@earthlink.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion noise blanker
From: "Bob Cunnings" <cunnings@lectrosonics.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 17:27:27 -0700
The hardware blanker doesn't seem to do much, it's the software blanker that
cuts it down somewhat (S9 to S4 or so). Believe it or not, he's running a
4-axis vertical milling machine in his garage, with a converter providing
the 3 phase 480 VAC it needs. Maybe the converter is part of the problem,
I'm not sure. The noise is a funny chopping type, reminds me vaguely of the
russian woodpecker of days gone by.

It's an impressive setup really, and cost him a bundle to have riggers bring
it all in, etc. so I'm being patient and hoping the flow of side jobs (he's
a machinist for an aerospace outfit) proves intermittent. Amazingly the
floor of his garage hasn't cracked under the weight yet.

RC