Re: [TenTec] ot-neighbors power tools

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ot-neighbors power tools
From: Carter Grabarczyk <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:27:55 -0500
Bob Cunnings wrote:

>The hardware NB didn't do much in this case, although it works very well in
>many other cases (ignition noise and the like).

Surprised the hardware noise blanker didn't work on "power tools". When
I called TT for a way to check my Omni 6 NB, they said to just run a
simple electric hand drill near the radio. I did and it worked.

On the other hand, I think you said your neighbor was using a fancy
milling machine (a little more than just a "power tool" in my book) and
a three phase multi-pole rectifier for speed control. Generally
speaking, this is a difficult type of noise to mitigate. The real fix is
for the machine owner to order a line filter from the machine
manufacturer. Unfortunately, the cost is in the low 4 digits and it
sounds like a little back alley operation and you can almost bet the
farm that he probably won't want to put out that kind of money.

If it's really a problem for you  and he is amenable, you may want to
"scale up" and build three (one for each phase) "brute force" line
filters  shown in the Amateur's Radio Handbook.

Good luck...

73,
Carter K8VT