Re: [TenTec] tentec 238B or palstar 1500cv ?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] tentec 238B or palstar 1500cv ?
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:07:37 EST
Jeff

I have had both and the Ameritron ATR30.  I would rate them in this  order:
TT, Ameritron then Palstar.

The Palstar is a very nicely made unit with better construction than the
ATR30.  However, if you check the specs, it does not have as large a  capacitor
as the ATR30 and the PalStar gave me fits trying to tune on 80 and 160  mtrs
(arcing and spitting).  The ATR30 worked fine tuning the same ladder  line fed
doublet running my AL572.

The TT tuner is much better in my application than either of them.  It  tunes
everything.  It is very broadbanded so you don't have to touch  it up every
time you move around the band.  Yes, you have to retune from CW  to SSB but at
least it stays on if you keep within the mode sub-band.

The TT is very repeatable.  The settings are easier to calibrate and  the
same settings always give the same results.  It was by guess and  by golly with
the other 2.

The TT has a choice of 4 antennas - all 4 can be coax or 3 coax and one
ladder line or long wire.  The other have fewer choices.

I have seen the insides of all three and I do not see anything that would
indicate the TT roller is less robust than the others.  The roller squeaked  a
bit when I first got it but I put a little of that Noalox grease you use on
antennas on the rod the roller contact slides on (not the coil but the rod) and

that made it turn smooth as silk.

You are correct TT does not use a dual needle meter so reading the exact  SWR
is a pain.  It would be nice if TT would offer a retrofit kit to  put in a
dual needle meter.  Maybe some enterprising ham will come up  with a design.  I
am sure it would not be that difficult. But do you  really care?  If the
reflected power is zero, you are  1:1.  I find I just tune for minimum SWR and
that
always ends up to be  no deflection on the meter.

Get the TT, you will not be disappointed.

Radio  k4ia
"Buck"
Fredericksburg, VA USA