Re: [TenTec] Paragon Info Needed

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon Info Needed
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:41:36 -0700
Chuck wrote:

>I am thinking about buying a Paragon.
>Can anyone tell me the differences between the Paragon I and II, and
>what to look for in a used Paragon.
>TIA
>Chuck
>KA6UUP

Chuck:

Well, besides cost and availability... the Paragon II was only produced
for one year (so few and far between) and sells for about twice what you
would pay for the Paragon.... they are nearly the same transceiver but:

The Paragon II has a built in RS-232 Port with an early, but very
serviceable, version of Ten-Tec's Icom friendly command language. The
Paragon reguires an optional RS-232 card which is very hard to find....
and it uses an obscure key-based command set which is rarely, if ever
supported by logging programs, etc.

The Paragon II has an improved microprocessor command set based on many
of the options that could be added to the Paragon's command set by
changing its factory ROM with a 3rd party Giehl chip. The Giehl chips
are still available and cost around $50 or so.
http://home.fuse.net/jg/Chips/ParagonChip.html

The Paragon II has a few different circuit boards in it. Functionally
the same but changed due to changes in part availability.

If you need computer control then you want the Paragon II over the
Paragon. If you don't need general coverage but want good computer
control and a better over-all transceiver for a reasonable price you
want an Omni-V with the .9v Giehl chip. A fantastic value.

I have both the Omni-6+ and a Paragon and I plan to add a nice Omni-V .9
when I can afford it.

Hope this helps some.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT