Re: [TenTec] cw creation

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cw creation
From: "Bob Cunnings" <cunnings@lectrosonics.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:06:35 -0600
Hello,

>>Everything we have
>>been talking about in this forum is A1A,
>>I believe.

Sounds right. I do remember using what I *think* is real A2A back in the
Navy. Although an obscure mode, the requirement came up on a NATO cruise
when the Admiral (Norwegian) decided that a particular kind of battle group
cw net be activated on UHF, and put it into the comm plan. I remember some
panic about this on the ship, since our WSC-3 UHF rigs didn't directly
support A2A. So I spent the night before building a T type audio oscillator
with junkbox parts that put out a decent audio tone. It was variable so I
could set the freq as prescribed by the definition for the circuit, but
don't remember just what it was anymore. It had a cable with which to plug
it into a mic jack for the AM voice transmitter and a jack for the straight
key mounted on the radio watch desk. Worked great, COMMO was delighted.
Having gone this far, and being a ham, it was decided that I would be the op
for the net, although I was an ET, not an RM (no worry, I had the right
clearances). All great fun for a while, I got to work the net when it came
up every evening. The other ops on the net seemed to enjoy it too. I've
never worked UHF cw since!

RC NW8L