Re: [TenTec] ORION BCI

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION BCI
From: "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 19:44:48 -0400
I never said the Orion had a "design flaw". That would amount to the crime
of heresy on this reflector. No, the Orion is just rather typical when it
comes to being connected to MY loop. Yes it's a full wave loop cut for
3.550mhz. It has a 4:1 current balun at the feed point and about 80' of RG8
for feeder. SWR is less than 2:1 on all harmonics 80-10 meters.
Most rigs I have tried, and I've tried a lot of them, experience some BCI
from WHAS on 840khz. The worst are the older TenTec rigs such as the
Tritons, Omni C etc. The best is the TS-480 which is totally clean. The
Orion falls somewhere in the middle.
Putting a tuner in like eliminates the problem. In fact, the tuner doesn't
even need to be resonated. Just putting it in line seems to eliminate all
BCI from WHAS. Since I didn't want to fiddle with a tuner when I didn't need
one, I use the ICE filter on these slackers.
No, it's not a FLAW. It's just a weakness and I wasn't expecting this on a
$3k+ radio.
Steve Ellington
N4LQ@iglou.com