Re: [TenTec] Past TenTec Orion Software

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Past TenTec Orion Software
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:09:08 -0400
Gary,  I think you will find that 1.367 is very stable.  My problem with
1.372 and the Centurion is a popping noise from the speaker when the amp
unkeys. TT determined that it is a timing issue in the Orion.  It is
annoying to hear that but find that 1.367 miniminizes that considerably or
totally.  The sweep will work like the way it is supposed to in 1.367 and we
are finding the  sweep so far is not freeqing when the sub-receive is turned
on with the SUB RX button.  There has been an issue with that from day one.
However, it is intermittent.

What you will have to do since you no longer will have the RF gain from 72
is go into the AGC menu and use the Threshold, run it up from 13 to 191
depending on the noise on the band and the relative signal strength of the
signals.  Back in the old days when the Orion first came out, that was the
way we worked the rig by going into the AGC's and adjusting the parameters
to meet band conditions.

I will repeat this again.  I think if I had the RF Gain and QSK from 1.372
placed on top of 1.367, the rig would be perfect for most of us operators.
We started having real problems when the MOX was added in 1.370,  then 1.371
was released to fix all the many bugs created by 1.370.  I am not blaming
the MOX addition to the menu for the problems, but the more features added
on the harder it is for the processors to keep up. Then everything slows
down because the processors have to keep polling the added features.

Let me know how you like going back over one year in technology with 1.367.

Toby  W4CAK