Re: [TenTec] ARRL Review of FT9000

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ARRL Review of FT9000
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 19:18:06 -0400
Dynamic range expressed in dB does normalize for sensitivity. It is the
difference between the sensitivity and the measured degradation. In theory, a
rig with a 100 dB IMDDR of 100 dB should still have 100 dB of DR if an
attenuator is put in front of it.

The intercept point calculated from the first-order and third-order responses
will vary with either the noise floor or the dynamic range.

That is why my brain likes to think in terms of noise floor and dynamic range
rather than trying to combine them in an IP3 calculation.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Manager
225 Main St
Newington, CT 06013
Tel: 860-594-0318
Internet: W1RFI@arrl.org
Web: http://www.arrl.org/tis
Member: ASC C63 EMC Committee
   Chairman: Subcommittee 5, Immunity
   Chairman: Ad hoc BPL Working Group
Member: IEEE, Standards Association, Electromagnetic Compatibility Society
Member: IEEE SCC-28 RF Safety
Member: IEEE EMC Society Standards Development Committee
   Chairman, BPL Study Project
Member: Society of Automotive Engineers EMC/EMR Committee
Board of Directors: QRP Amateur Radio Club International