Re: [TenTec] ten tec transverters

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ten tec transverters
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 08:46:50 -0500
Tentec radios typically provide a "transverter" output. This is a 1 mW level
signal that is pre PA.  Also the TX EN jack will dis-able the PA thus one
can conveniently connect the transverter with out the need to attenuate the
transmitter output.  And with a separate EXT ANT for receive, this makes for
very easy connections to interface the external transverter.  Also one can
use the Tentec PTT jack on the rear to key the transverter.  (I don't care
for RF sensing switching.)  Look at it this way, a few cables with the
correct connectors between the Tentec transceiver and the transverter is all
that's needed for transceive operation on 2 or 6 meters or what ever band
you choose.  As a suggestion, do use the 10 M band for the IF.  You will
find that much less image concerns and birdies will exist.  If one intends
to use a Down East Microwave transverter, order it for separate transmit /
receive configuration.  It will come normally configured for transceive that
will require some external switching for installation.  There's info
contained with the unit to allow the user to make the mods and the
connectors are already on the box to do so.  I really prefer the split
configuration as it is much easier to interface with the Tentec's.

For those that just want to connect the antenna jack on the HF transceiver
to the transverter, they (DEM) do make available a transverter interface
which will take the nominal 100 watt output of the HF transceiver to handle
the switching and attenuation required.  While it works well, I see no need
to generate 100 watts of RF only to attenuate it to 1 mW as well as spending
the extra bucks for the interface when a few cables and connectors and a
Tentec radio will do the job quite nicely.  On the other hand, the DEM
interface does allow the switching of 3 (as I recall) transverters from the
same HF transceiver.

Other than a user of their products I have no association with DEM.  Here's
the link to their site which will provide other very helpful operational and
configuration information.

http://www.downeastmicrowave.com/

73
Bob, K4TAX