Re: [TenTec] FCC says CW dead

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FCC says CW dead
From: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <mizuhoradio@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:07:57 -0700 (PDT)
Hi, Tommy, and everyone else,

--- Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net> wrote:

> catfish...I'm not nit-picking you here, but the FCC
> did not say either. What they did say in the NPRM
> was that morse code would no longer be a requirement
> for TESTING for an amateur license.

Well said.  So long as people enjoy CW and share their
enjoyment with others CW will live on.  Let's put it
this way:  knowing anything about RTTY is not a
requirement either, but people still use the mode.

> if anyone thinks CW is anywhere near dead,
> just join, or tune in during just about any of the
> popular contest...it is a LONG way from being a
> dead mode of choice.

Precisely.  Tune to the bottom of 40 on any evening
and you'll hear just how far from dead CW is.  I doubt
this rule change will reduce the number of people
learning CW to the point where they can effectively
use the mode.  That has been a choice since 2000 at
least.

Look how much attention Ten Tec pays to CW.  Look at
how much the feature set of the Argonuat V (a rig I've
come to really, really like) is dedicated to CW.  Ten
Tec wouldn't do that if there wasn't a market.

72/73,
Caity
K7VO

Caitlyn M. Martin - K7VO
http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo
Blog: http://k7vo.blogspot.com
ARRL QRP-ARCI #11018 ARS #445 G-QRP #11577 AK QRP #637