Re: [TenTec] Orion II

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:05:44 -0400
I think I am beginning to understand the problem.

When Ten Tec marketed the Orion (the original, unofficially called the
"Orion 1" or "O1" now) as, in effect if not in these exact words "the last
radio you may ever need to buy" it did NOT promise that the Orion was the
last radio it would ever design & make.

And all hand-wringing aside...  so what if there's going to be an Orion II
(aka O2)?  If you bought an O1, and you're happy with it, and the firmware
updates will continue indefinitely ad infinitum ad nauseum, how is this
perception bad?  The O1 may STILL be the last rig you own, even if and when
the O3, O4, O5, and so forth come out.

And since when do we actually believe verbatum marketing claims like this?
Wasn't the KWM-380, the Signal One, the TR4CW, and so forth all marketed
like this at one time?  If we didn't believe the marketing hype then -- why
would we believe it now?

Time marches on.

But I will make any and all unhappy Orion owners a promise:  If you no
longer want your O1, send it to me at my CBA.  I'll make sure it gets a good
home to someone Deserving of such a radio.  (And I might even keep one for
myself, too!).  Same goes for the Jupiter/Pegasus, 6N2, Argonaut V, or any
other Ten-Tec rig.