Re: [TenTec] Orion II

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II
From: "Chuck Chandler" <charles_chandler@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:42:41 -0500
Well, my FIRST conscious thought upon seeing that announcement was to see if
I could lift the entire operating table, printer, computer, Orion I, amp,
tuner, etc. and fling it out the window.

I've calmed down now... I have not *chilled*, as was suggested, but I no
longer shine brightly in the infrared spectrum.

The Orion was my retirement present to myself, a gift for surviving a job I
really didn't like but that paid very well.  I figured I'd have one shot to
splurge on a top-of-the-line rig and part of my initial reaction was knowing
that it isn't, anymore.  Of course, that IS the way of the world.  I just
this morning thought, as I read the FTDX9K review, that in 2 or 3 years that
rig will be past its peak and mine will be better than it is now.

Personally, I would like to hear Scott say "The Orion I will be supported
with firmware upgrades to make it work better for the next several years."
I would, in fact, like to hear him say/see him post it every day for the
next week.  I know he posted it once, but I am feeling a tad insecure right
now.

What would *REALLY* make my day would be an announcement that Ten-Tec will
upgrade my firmware to work better AND there are ways to pick and choose a
hardware upgrade or two... one from column A and one from column B kind of
thing.  I don't need a color display but sure would like a better processor
if - I say if - that is what is needed to make the firmware work properly.

Fact is, Ten-Tec does owe each Orion I owner a stable, properly functioning
firmware, including the functions that right now have a few bugs.  Sweep,
RS-232 and a few others come to mind.

I'll be at Huntsville... I am sure I will have reached ambient temperature
by then...

73,
Chuck Chandler
WS1L