Re: [TenTec] Radios suitable for mobile operation

To: jessy6stems@cablespeed.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radios suitable for mobile operation
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:02:23 EDT
I have a friend using a scout mobile ( with blanker) into hamsticks,  and he
is quite happy.

I run a ft 847 in my pickup into a -3 and a commet for 6/2/ 440 and it does
well. I have an ft 847 in both cars, into ATAS antennas and all 3 work quite
well.  I use them with the motor running so the volts stay up.  its  fun
running down I-5  in the central vally of california and talkinng to  brazil,
and
late in the evening on the way back I tuned up on the HHH net and  work 6 or 7
states mobile....at midenite on 40, including a mobile in NEW  JOISY.

Its all location when you are mobile the higher the better or look for a
long flat area, I used to use  ham sticks and a tuner but find the  screwdriver
antennas easy to use. the ATAS's and the 857 self tunes 440mhz to 40  meters
and the dk-3 is tuned for lowest swr on the meter.  takes a couple  of seconds
to do.

a couple of ferrite beads on the electric fuel pump if it makes noise, and
be sure to ground the radio to the chassis, ( a self tapping screw into the
floor boards, ground the neg post of the battery to the chassis, and ground the

ground side of the antenna mount.

for a mount you can devise a gizmo to mount to the spare tire, or use a
trailer hitch mount, or a trunk lip mount, or even  weld or bolt a piece of
metal
out from under the driverside rear at a 45 degree angle. drill a hole in  it
and mount the antenna there ( drivers side keeps it away from fingers on the
sidewalk and you can see it in the mirror, and the trees are higher in the
center of the road.

good luck, I enjoy running mobile, it is a kick.

tom N6AJR