Re: [TenTec] Omni VI with Opt. 3 Info Needed

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI with Opt. 3 Info Needed
From: Clark Savage Turner <csturner@kcbx.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 22:41:25 -0700
Welcome back, Jim!

I have recently sold a bunch of radios to buy mandolin, octave mandolin
and other Irish music supplies.  I've managed to keep my OMNI VI with
option 3 and a few other QRP rigs...

On Sep 16, 2005, at 5:33 PM, Jim Reid wrote:

> Anyway,  just bought KH6FMT's Omni VI,  an original
> Model 563, which he seems to have had upgraded through
> Opt 1, 2, and 3.  Not sure if it was part of Opt. 3,  but

Option 3 could only be installed at the factory.  There would be a
factory sticker on the back side of the rig that stated Option 3
installed.  It is silver.  Is there one on the back of yours?

> in 2000 he had the original oven controlled reference crystal
> oscillator replaced with a TXCO reference!? Not sure why,

Ten Tec installed the TCXO in the OMVI VI plus at a certain point.
They have no more ovens as I understand.  I replaced mine just before
the changeover.

> those various options have done.  Most of the buttons on the
> right hand end of the rig are completely different from the
> buttons shown in the 563 manual!  Would like to set the
> clock,  for example.  The original manual shows a button
> for that purpose; now I suppose it must be in the menu
> somewhere, which I have yet to try to operate!

I have a few manual pages that Ten Tec offered with the option 3, but
if you have option 2, you might want to contact Ten Tec (or heck,
contact them and they can probably tell you what option you have and
send you the additional manual pages.  Only 3 or 4 pages were added for
the Option 3)

> Oh,  very sorry to have learned via the July QST that my
> beloved Orion rig features sparring partner,  George,  W5YR,

I was very saddened by that too.  I learned the song, "Yellow Rose of
Texas" on my mandolin solely to remember George.  He was quite a
fellow.

Clark
WA3JPG

Clark Savage Turner, J.D., Ph.D.