Re: [TenTec] Airpax circuit breaker for Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Airpax circuit breaker for Orion
From: OTAKEBI@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 19:38:45 EST
The way I see it is to use the radios manual as a starting point.
Look on the specification page under transmitter.
Under power required on transmit you will find the amp draw @  13.8 VDC.
I have found the instant to be better at protection but trips very often
under a bad SWR load.
It is annoying compared to the fast break but worth the aggravation if you
want to be super safe.
Ten Tec says the fast break is fine with any type of amp draw as long as it
is within the radios specification requirement.
They built the radios so I trust what they say.
They use fast break on the power supplies they sell.
But, they figure that you are watching the amp draw at tune up and  won't get
yourself into trouble and trip the breaker.
As with any specification it can be + or - by so many amps and if your
finals are on the way out and not new all bets are off.
Dan/N4VET