Re: [TenTec] Centurion

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:03:50 -0600
Well using a 3-500Z, with 5 volts at 14.6 amps that's 73 watts.  Half that
power makes a good soldering pencil quite hot.  {40 watts @ 750 degrees
melts solder and some melts at a much lower temp, as low as 350 degrees}
Add a bit of contact resistance between the socket and the tube pin and one
has heat.  How much depends on the resistance between the socket contact and
the tube pin.  A blower will keep things cool assuring long tube life.  The
warm-up time on a 3-500Z is about 1/2 second with a 15 amp 5.0 volt
transformer.  Most consider these as "instant on" tubes.  No warm-up
required.

I commented earlier about the temperature maximum for the base of a 3-500Z.
It is 200 degrees C or about 425 degrees F.  Most solder melts between 350
and 750 degrees F.

Again, most amps that use 3-500Z's apply filament voltage and HV at the same
time.  Some may use a step start circuit on the input to limit in-rush
current.  According to the EIMAC book, the 3-500Z can absorb an in-rush
current of 2 times the rated current without damage to the tube.  Now, IF
the amp is designed correctly, thus the filament transformer is properly
rated such that it provides its own current limit.  The typical problem lies
in a case where the designer uses a transformer with an excessive current
rating thus permitting excessive current during start-up.

A pair of 3-500Z's will draw roughly 30 amps of filament current during
operation.  With a transformer that is CCS rated at 30 amps there is no
problem and no step-start is needed.  Keep in mind that a CCS rating does
include an adequate margin of safety.  As to the HV supply, again with a
series current limiting resistor in the B+ there is no problem with
excessive current to the filter network on start-up and thus no concern of
damage to the HV transformer.  It is only when systems are "over designed"
does the problem raise its ugly head.

Now, back to your point of concern.  I'd put the tubes in the amp and run
them.  The spares would stay in the box and on the shelf for that time if
and when they are needed.  Keep in mind that using the amp day in and day
out, keeping grid current and plate current under maximum values, and with
an amp so designed to be free of parasitic oscillations, the tubes should
last 10 to 15 years.

73
Bob, K4TAX