Re: [TenTec] Paragon brains gone

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon brains gone
From: Chas Nagel <cnagel@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 19:10:58 -0800 (PST)
When I purchased my Paragon about 5 months ago it came with a warning label
inside near the battery holder regarding use of alkaline batteries. Use only
rechargeable battery and the procedure stated below by Mark.

  Charles, K0CW

"C. Mark Cring" <n8coo@yahoo.com> wrote:
  Ken,

This happened to me once. Did everything you described. Replaced rechargable
battery, still no joy. Then tried powering up with out battery connected -
worked fine. Connected new battery (while still powered up) and haven't had a
problem since: even when I turn off power supply a week or two it is OK. I
would try a new battery. I plan on replacing mine again soon (it is about 2 1/2
years old.)

Incidentally, I put my battery in a small zip-lock bag (made for small parts)
and brought the wires out towards the top of the rig. Hopefully if the battery
ever decides to leak or something bad happen the bag will catch the chemicals
and not drip down on the interior (boards).

Incidentally, the manual I received from Ten Tec, when I purchased my Paragon
in 2000, says you can use an alkaline or ni-cad. THIS IS WRONG! I almost had a
disaster. Luckily I noticed the battery (alkaline) getting warm before I put
the covers back on and removed it. DO NOT use an alkaline in a Paragon unless
you have disabled or know the charging circuit is not connected. Otherwise -
Use ONLY a rechargable. I called Ten Tec on it - don't know if they ever
changed their manual. I know this has been mentioned on the list before, but
figure it won't hurt to bring it up again.

73, Mark N8COO