Re: [TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Radio Science + QSK = Radar
From: "Steve Kline" <skline17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:42:34 -0600
Jim,

I was there January 1971 to start my initial electronics courses then
followed by ATC Radar stuff.  No hurricanes while I was there.  Carla
came through before I ever got there.  I believe it came ashore in 68.
Had two duty assignments during my initial tour.  From tech school I
went to Westover AFB, MA (SAC base at that time with squadron or so of
B-52's and KC-135 refuelers).  Then in 1973 I had an assignment to Ubon,
Thailand. Went through Yokota on my way to Thailand but they wouldn't
let us leave the hanger, so didn't see much at all of Japan.

At Westover we had an FPN-47 and FPN-16.  In Ubon we only had a double
long trailer with combined PAR and 60 mile approach as I recall.  RAPCON
was a separate trailer of course.  Spent about 1/2 of the total time in
schools it seemed.  Wouldn't trade those 4 years for anything.  What an
experience (and education too).

73 - Steve W5JK