Re: [TenTec] Orion II Curiosity

To: NJ0IP <Rick@DJ0IP.de>, k3ndm@arrl.net,'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment' <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II Curiosity
From: Barry LaZar <k3ndm@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 07:51:38 -0600 (CST)
Rick,
     Let me start with I have a MFJ power meter. It measures either peak or
average depending on a switch setting.
     What you describe is in line with what I expect. I should be able to see a
peak on a steady tone or voice peak to be close to what the transmitter rating
is and the average to be 4,5,or 6 db below that, depending on SP setting and
voice characteristics. However, that is not what I think I'm seeing. The TS-50
camparison was used more of a check of the power meter, and it checked out
close to what I would expect.
     The mic I use is the tentec desk mic, a SP setting of 4, and mic gain at
50. The power setting is set to 100.
     I was running PSK-31 last night and could only get about 35 watts out.
This is a steady tone, albeit phase modulated, that should have allowed me to
kick up to full rating.
     What I sense in the way the transmitter is fuctioning is that ALC is
holding down power in the SSB modes for some reason. I went back and reread the
manual to see if I had missed something. I couldn't find what I had missed.
Like I said in my post, I get 100 watts in CW, no problem. It's just the SSB
modes that seem to exhibit this. Is there a ALC adjustment that could be set
incorrectly?

73,
Barry
K3NDM