[TenTec] RTTY on Omni VI

To: Keith Bainbridge <vk6xh@arach.net.au>,TenTec <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RTTY on Omni VI
From: Ed <w3nr@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 07:40:06 -0500
Keith, I use my VI on RTTY (FSK) and PSK31 (AFSK). I called TT when I
first tried to set up FSK, I could not get it to work correctly. I later
found that it was due to some bad advice. Here is my current setup, hope
you can follow along OK.

FSK
  1. audio out to soundcard (either line-in or mic)is a straight thru
      connection.

  2. mark/space to serial port (db9) pin 5 (ground) pin 3 (txd). I used
a 1.8k in series just to be on the safe side. it may not be necessary.

  3. set the PBT to 3 o'clock to properly decode a RTTY signal. use your
filters as you see fit. I use the 500 cw filter, plus the LP filter set
to 600, along with the built-in MMTTY filter, on a "as needed" basis.

In the past year or so I have well over 1k RTTY QSO's using this setup
and the rig works flawlessly. MMTTY is an excellent piece of software
and will also let you set-up rig control for the Omni. Be careful as
some will tell you that a transistor switch is needed for FSK, this is
completely false and was the bad advice I got in the beginning.

I use a home-brew device for AFSK, but the rigblaster will work well.

AFSK

  1. audio in from souncard (line-out or headphone) I use a simple 100:1
voltage divider.

  2. ptt via a npn transistor switch.

  3. use the same audio out cable as above.

  4. if you use this for RTTY use LSB and USB for other modes.

Hope this is of some value, feel free to ask any questions. See you on
the digi modes.....73

Ed W3NR