[TenTec] Argo V vs. Paragon

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Argo V vs. Paragon
From: Don Rasmussen <wb8yqj@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 20:55:56 -0800 (PST)
Thanks Ben and Pat,

I did an A/B test using the transceiver I have here
(OMNI VI+) last night and it occured to me that the
Paragon is actually a closer cousin to the Argo V.
Many of Pat's comments about the Paragon also apply to
comparing the OMNI VI+, so the general coverage design
doesn't sound like it makes much of a difference in
the comparison.

The Argonaut V added 60m, all modes, scan, and general
coverage to the VI+ and Corsair II here, without
giving up the fatigue free CW of those models. It does
give up some selectivity but that is not a problem
here.

The thing I was really suprised about was the DSP,
which does a creditable job of providing fatigue free
copy at 500hz and under. I assume this is also true of
Orion, but having owned a 756Pro for a year where the
norm seemed to be digital artifacts, harsh copy at
narrow bandwidths and a general peculiar sound, it was
fairly amazing that this little Argo radio could sound
so natural in comparison.

de WB8YQJ

Re: [TenTec] Argo V vs. Paragon
Subject:  Re: [TenTec] Argo V vs. Paragon
From:  "Ben K8DIT"

Hi Don,

If you look at the Paragon you see that processors
have begun to 'take over' Im not sure  I answered your
question to your taste, but I took a shot.