[TenTec] Paragon Problem

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon Problem
From: JT Croteau <jt.w6fo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 22:43:26 -0500
Hi folks.

I'm having some problems with my newly acquired Paragon 585 and need
some help troubleshooting.

Some background:

Rig:
Serial No. 694
Last used probably 4 years ago, been sitting in a climate controlled
room with very little dust.

Problem: Rig powers up fine but unable to hear any stations.  There is
white noise and some loud, almost like power line, noise on lower
bands.  Noise is a strong S7 on the 80M band and doesn't change as I
tune around the entire band.  I'm not sure what the noise is, or how
to describe it, as I have never heard this kind of noise before.

QTH: I have a very quiet hilltop location with underground power.  I
last used an FT-102 two months ago at this location with almost no
noise interferance.  I don't believe the noise I am picking up is
coming from my, or neighboring, QTH.  Normally from this QTH I can
receive WWV at 10MHz with just a short wire sticking out of the
antenna jack but not with this Paragon.  I currently do not have an
antenna I can transmit with, just a low mounted SWL dipole out in the
backyard.

Any ideas of things to look at?

Thanks

- JT