Re: [TenTec] openwire feed OT

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] openwire feed OT
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <mike_n4nt@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:34:44 -0500
Seems I recall numerous references to baluns becoming "saturated" and thus
lossy when not used in matched aerial / feedline applications.  If this is
true then it seems to me that use of a balun with an antenna tuner is not
the best practice.  I would appreciate someone elucidating this point.

About Paul's question, I use a W5GI "Mystery Antenna" I think.  I've never
been sure what it was called.  That antenna/feedline couples the twin lead
from the aerial to a piece of coax some 15 feet long (or thereabouts).
There is no balun.  The antenna seems to work pretty well.

73, Mike N4NT