Re: [TenTec] Loop/open wire/AH3?

To: k3ndm@arrl.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Loop/open wire/AH3?
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@qsl.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 18:13:19 -0500

The loop will exhibit a reasonable impedance, around 100 ohms,  on its
fundamental and harmonics. I think it best to use a balun, since your
tuner is designed for an unbalanced output. I have a vertical loop cut
for 40 meters. I use a 4:1 balun at the loop feedpoint and then run a
short (about 25-30 feet) coax run to the tuner in the shack. Even
without the tuner, the swr is relatively low on most bands. The tuner
seems to like the low impedance presented to it by the 4:1 balun. The
antenna works well from 5 MHz to 29 MHz.

                        73,

                        Bob WB2VUF