Re: [TenTec] Tuner and amp

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuner and amp
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 22:28:50 -0600
Right way and wrong way.  First be sure you are on the correct antenna and
the SWR is 2:1 or less.  Be sure the amp bandswitch is on the correct band.
Also, preset the TUNE and LOAD controls per the suggested values in the
manual.

For amps like the Centurion apply an amount of drive, 10 to 30 watts, and
adjust TUNE and LOAD controls, in that order, for max output.  Continue by
increasing the drive and touching up tuning and load controls for max output
until maximum rated plate current {never exceed 800 ma absolute max}and
maximum rated grid current {260 ma max} are obtained.  Do not apply more
drive if either of these maximum values are reached.  TUNE controls plate
current and LOAD controls grid current.  If you wish to operate at lower
power then reduce the drive to attain the power you desire.  Do not retune
the amp.  Let the transceiver ALC do its job and control power for SSB or CW
operation.

If you do not have adequate drive to get the amp to maximum values of 800 ma
plate current and 260 ma of grid current, then apply all the drive you have
and tune for max output but never so as to exceed the max values for plate
and grid.

73
Bob, K4TAX