Re: [TenTec] Orion II and Centurion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II and Centurion
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 11:15:58 -0800
Bob:  How are you determining the output of the Centurion on SSB?  I believe
that if you looked at the output on a spectrum analyzer, you would find that
the Orion II is driving it to a true PEP value that is equal to the CW 'key
down' power, and maybe even slightly more due to power supply sag in the
linear.  The FT1000 may have a higher average-to-peak ratio than the O2,
showing more input and output power from the linear on any kind of meter
that does not measure absolute instantaneous PEP.

There should be more average power in and out with SP on, but I have not
seen this, and believe that this is an area that the TT engineers should
look at.  To be sure, the SP does tend to give a little more aggressive
sound, so it does help when you need the extra punch, it's not yet the equal
the typical built-in or external SP's.  That is on my Fix List I sent to TT
and available at www.ronc.users.sonic.net .

Ron
N6AHA