Re: [TenTec] [Orion] Orion II Noise Blankers

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] Orion II Noise Blankers
From: Lin Davis <linbdavis@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:56:31 -0500
Hi Grant,

I've done a bit of research into DSP filtering and even called Gary at Ten-Tec
to find out what the NR filter implementation is.

And you are correct, it is certainly not just a form of an expansion circuit!!

By Doug Smith, it's called an adaptive predictor. The theory behind it was
developed 40+ years ago by Kalman, who based his work on Wiener and
Kolmogoroff.
   To me, it's pretty cool stuff.

But unfortunately, I still thing the manual description of it's behavior is in
need of an update. I was hoping to contact Mr. Smith to help me understand it
better, since he has most likely coded and played with it.

I'll follow up with more details soon. And hopefully that post won't put too
many folks out there to sleep :)

73,
Lin
WB1AIW