Re: [TenTec] Sweep on OII

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Sweep on OII
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 14:19:11 -0600

> When I tune the sweep stops. Granted at least it doesn't lock
> up the radio anymore....
> Am I the only one that needs/expects this with OII?

Actually if you tune VERY s-l-o-w-l-y, it does continue to run.  But I
emphasize the word VERY :-)

I was a bit surprised at first, but after thinking about it some, not at all
surprised.

If you recall in the original announcements made on the II, there was
mention of a future high speed sweep module as an add-on.  I think the
reason it can't handle "continuous" operation (even with the newer CPU's) is
that there is (as yet) no independent IF/DSP acting as the spectrum analyser
for the sweep display.  If you look at some other radios (going back to my
old IC-781, and including the current crop of $10-15K things), they have
what essentially amounts to 3rd receiver (or at least IF strip and
associated stuff) handling that function.

I suspect, when/if this sweep module is released, that's what it will amount
to -- an IF strip, dedicated DSP processing, and interfacing to get the data
on the display.

It isn't something I think I will actually need, but I'll no doubt buy it
anyway if T-T follows through with it.

Grant/NQ5T