Re: [TenTec] 100 Hz DSP CW filter response with Orion I V2.056

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 100 Hz DSP CW filter response with Orion I V2.056
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:17:52 -0500
Sinisa,

Thanks for this data.  Among other things, it confirms that "100 Hz"
BW isn't exactly knife-edge filtering -- as you'd expect from 199 taps
and 14 kHz IF, I suppose.  A number that might also be useful would be
the -10 dB or -20 dB filter widths.  Response inside the "bandpass"
(+/-3 dB?) isn't so important as the rejection of out of band signals.
 Depending on the scenario, 10 dB rejection can be critical.  I often
run into bandshape limitations on 20M PSK31, for example, where it's
all quite visible on the waterfall -- if uncalibrated.

It would be interesting to compare the sidelobes at 200 Hz BW.

This info must be in somebody's lab notebook at TT.  (We hope! :-)
Wouldn't it be nice if they'd find a way to share it?  They might say
it's proprietary, but full technical disclosure would be a very nice
selling point for the company.  (Why do they bother giving those
exquisite equalizer curves in the manual and on the website?  IF
DSP/filter response would be a better choice!)

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net