Re: [TenTec] Johnson matchbox tuner

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Johnson matchbox tuner
From: Randy Russe3ll <lord_russell53@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:23:28 -0800 (PST)
I was always confused about the third cap.  Are you
shunting it across the third tap to use with ur TEN
TEC STATIO?  Or  do you run two gangs (one for each
side)of a differential Cap in series with each side of
the parrelell lines.  I understand 160M will load
fine.  The other config Cebil proposes is to FLOAT the
output cap from ground.  Instead of grounding one
side, of both gangs, to ground, the (2)gnd sides are
wired to to the parrelel feedline. Which gives you in
effect, both bal. lines running in series through
those caps.  There is absolutely no reason that a
Matchbox can't handle 30M without a bunch of Mods.  My
guess is if yout TEN TEC station is having trouble
matching 30M, Your antenna resistance is to low or at
re 50 ohm resonance or lower. Try just adding a foot
to the end of you 30m antenna and that should knock
the resistance up a few hundred ohms. Just raising and
lowering ur antenna will take a 50 ohm feedpoint
through a 2:1 swr range, but who wants to lower their
antenna to adjust swr.  I put up an 80 M dipole fed
with bal line and the only spot that gave me trouble
was 80m, the spot it was cut for. On 40 M, now a full
wave dipole and fed at the usual "no-no" spot near the
current null, loaded up like "swiiiiing" My best swr .
 When I adjusted the dipole length from 136 or so feet
to 140 ft.  Everything hit for low swr.  Just add 2-5%
to your antenna length, which would put a coax antenna
out of the ballpark, but puts the Bal tuner into it's
sweet spot.  Last thing adjust feedline by 1/8 or 1/16
wavelength (of ur problem freq.)at a time until you
get closer to a voltage node, that will get you in the
sweet spot if nothing else worked.