Re: [TenTec] SDR 1K

To: k6kdk@k6kdk.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] SDR 1K
From: "Eric F. Richards" <efricha@dim.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 20:34:12 -0600
I can't speak to the SDR 1K because I don't have one.  However,
I was an early adopter of a much less capable radio, the WinRadio G303i.
It's an SDR that brings an 11kHz IF into your sound card and does the
rest with software.

I can say it's astounding what it can do with that arrangement.  The
filters are razor-sharp (they're equations, not physical filters!) and
the sound quality is outstanding.

Bob Sherwood did note that the thing has poor close-in rejection because
it has to pass a 11kHz wide band into your sound card, but I've not found
that -- in practical use -- to be an occurance.

Note that the G303i isn't even considered to be in the same class as
an Orion, RX340 or other premium receiver -- it's more a "software
breadboard" than anything else.

Regards,

Eric

At 06:58 PM 4/21/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>I think Lee has the poop on this:
>
>========snip=====================
>First as to my experience.  I have been a ham for 43
>years, and I have been able to copy at least 5 wpm
>code since I was 7 years old which is when I first
>took my novice test.  I have come up through the ranks
>using discrete RX TX rigs like a Viking-2 and a
>HQ-170, transceivers, and now SDR radios.  My present
>rigs include a Paragon, an Orion and 2 SDR-1000's and
>a K-1 plus a smattering of others.  My past rigs have
>included Drake lines, TS-820 and a TT 580 Delta, and
>older rigs like home brew 6146's that used discrete
>manual TR

Eric F. Richards
efricha@dim.com
"The weird part is that I can feel productive even when I'm doomed."
  - Dilbert