[TenTec] Orion vs SDR 1K

To: "Ten Tec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion vs SDR 1K
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:28:39 -0400
     Lee, how about another update on your SDR?
I'm wondering if the ultimate solution may be
an SDR receiver but a companion analog TX (N.B.
Orion does not have an analog transmitter, hence
its problems with QSK, time jitter, etc).

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

There seems to be some improvement in the latency areq with the SDR 1K running
a high powered computer and used with a foot switch for keying up the rig, and
then turning off the internal sidetone and using the sidetone from an external
keyer.  This may not be considered an improvement but more like a work around.

However,  there is still the problem of latency when working contests because
the SDR will always be slow to crank up and by the time it does the contact is
lost.

The latency issue will never be solved by the current hardware,  and a new rig
will have to be produced which will be one to two years down the road.  There
are a lot of smart people working on the SDR code and I believe in time they
will produce a really top performer.  The receiver already takes the prize for
the best specs of any rig on the market,  and I believe it will be just a
matter of time before the latency issue is resolved.  It's going to take a new
rig however,  the present hardware will not cut it.

Toby  W4CAK