Re: [TenTec] 2.033

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.033
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 00:18:11 -0500
> work.)   My DSP theory is not fresh in my memory any more, but the
> discussions here about DSP only being a narrow filter does
> not map with my experience in DSP.  Maybe it's old knowledge,
> but BW filtering doesn't get the entire job done, it seems to me.

A common DSP algorithm as might be found in many amateur devices for noise
reduction uses autocorrelation to identify the primary spectral components,
and then adapts dynamic filters around those components.  That should sound
pretty familiar.   It isn't really a one or the other situation.  And
autocorrelation isn't the only method for spectral estimation.

There are as many fancy algorithms around as there are graduate students
working on dissertations in the area, speech-recognition companies trying to
get a leg-up on the competition regards recognition accuracy in noisy
places, and on and on.

Grant/NQ5T