[TenTec] 937 PS-troubleshooting-(blush)-TNX TEN TEC--Lesson Learned

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] 937 PS-troubleshooting-(blush)-TNX TEN TEC--Lesson Learned
From: ARDUJENSKI@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 13:08:10 EDT
RADIO: 555 SCOUT

ISSUE: Chirp on the CW signal.  Voltage at output of 937 was dropping  from
14.2 TO 10.3

LESSON LEARNED

Well, after checking several potential problems and not identifying the
culrpit I tried an Astron 7 amp and same problem but noticed meter light was
dimming. I made a call to TEN TEC thinking the problem may in fact be the SCOUT

and I may have to ship that out.

I talked with GARY at Ten Tec and with an AH HA and a rub of the chin, Gary
said he thought he knew what the possible problem was-- RUNNING MORE THAN  50
WATTS on the Scout. I had readjusted the RF CONTROL from 5watts and just
turned the adjustment all the way clockwise. Well dang it HE WAS  RIGHT. With
power meter and dummy load in hand backed off the drive and  everything is
working
great.

ONE MORE THING: Gary noted sometimes the caps to the final C1 and C4 could
have been the wrong value or need replacing with 100v 104s (0.1). Thankfully
that was not at issue

I thought I would pass this LESSON LEARNED along. Not quite as bad as  not
having it unplugged  but close (smile)

Thanks to all who have responded and especially GARY AT TEN TEC

Alan  KB7MBI
Woodinville, WA