Re: [TenTec] If you ground it - it will come!

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] If you ground it - it will come!
From: Randy Russe3ll <lord_russell53@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 11:23:35 -0700 (PDT)
Interesting, I was going to take down my setup and
re-assemble it this weekend. One of the things I had
in mind was to cover each shelf with solid flat
copper.  Over that I will place a sheet of heavy
glass.. The glass is simply because it is so easy to
clean and I can use unfinished plywood for the shelfs
without fancy finishing and sanding. A couple of
inches will remain bare at the back,to which my
equipment bolts straight to. Thought this might
provide some addition shielding between equipment on
seperate shelves, also. My operating bench sit's
against an outside wall, and runs right up to the
hinge edge of the door jamb. It is a simple matter to
run the copper off the talble edge, around and through
the door jamb, and three feet down the outside wall to
the main ground rod. Yes, this doies give me a small
amount of inductance because of the bend. The power
mains (buried lines, no poles in my neighborhood)the
TY cable (buried cable) phone lines (buried lines)all
enter the house a few feet from my station ground.  I
have bonded all these together there also. At this
point, if lightning hits it hits.  I do not have
enough invested in the station to get too crazy about
it.  My concerns are as much about having a RF ground
system as anything. I have radials, also going
throughout the yard, off my station main gnd.  I'm
just running flat top wires so my situatiion is not
like some others. Yes, I have discovered copper roof
flashing.  At about 20 dollars a roll for 25 feet
(Home Depot), 1 foot wide, it's definitely a viable
supply.  Makes great portable ground plane,
counterpoise, also.  On voltage fed antennas such as
Bobtails, a few square feet of it work wonders, or it
can be cut into 2" or 6" strips and used as radials
for 1/4 verticals. I used a Bobtail beam with a couple
of 1'foot wide strips forming a cross and it really
loaded up nice and got out great, too.  A 2" strip
rolls up to a very compact package for the field.
Particularly effective for a waterside set up , where
they can be rolled several down into the water. Field
Day anyone? I guess when you have a 1 ft. wide sheet
of copper for RF useage, it has the same useable
conducting area as if you rolled that one foot
circumference into about 4" inches wide.  So it is
effectively the same RF conductor as a 4" dia. piece
of copper wire, yes? with lower inductance? Since RF
only utilizes the surface of a wire conductor.

--- "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson"