Re: [TenTec] "Being a Contrarian . . ."

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] "Being a Contrarian . . ."
From: Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:28:18 -0400
Dear (happy) Orion owners,

Enough already...please! So you operate SSB and you have spent your
4000+ bucks and YOU have the best radio...that is wonderful and you
should be proud. It is TRUE that a ham's BEST radio is the one they
HAVE on their desk...otherwise they would be pretty dumb to keep it...???

When the ARRL evaluates other radios, you gush and rush to quickly
quote comparison receiver test results to your Orion...and you think
the ARRL lab test are wonderful (and they ARE!). But now that the
ARRL doesn't flow with glowing words about the radio you laid out
your 4000+ bucks for, suddenly the ARRL sucks? NOT!!

The facts are that the Orion never has and quite possibly never will,
live up to the specifications Ten Tec published...that is a FACT! I
can say that because I owned one for 20 months, complained like heck
because it would not run full QSK, with their own amplifier, in the
keying loop. And got my fanny chewed out on this reflector as one who
'was trying to destroy Ten Tec'. I was a contributing member of the
beta test group and that sad experience convinced me that Ten Tec
would never get the firmware corrected. It wasn't back then and it
isn't today...but at least you have a color screen, which I'm sure
helps make the Orion a better operating radio. What happened to the
Orion beta test group? Well of course they found so many firmware
bugs and begged and pleaded for Ten Tec to address them, that Ten
Tec, in their wisdom (?) finally dropped the entire group. Now you
guys are Ten Tec's beta test group for Orions firmware...are you
having fun yet?

Yes, the Orion is a good radio and it's Ten Tec's first steps to join
the rest of the ham radio manufacturers  who build a SSB radio that
just happens to ALMOST operate CW.

Relax...breath deeply...just because the ARRL's QST review is telling
the truth, does not mean your are not intelligent folks.

Tom - W4BQF