Re: [TenTec] Being a Contrarian...."

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Being a Contrarian...."
From: William Addams <wiladdamsham@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 06:39:18 -0700 (PDT)
How soon everyone forgets all of the lockups that occurred and were the bane of
TT's classic Orion for so long. Now, the lock ups are gone from the Orion,
thanks to the rewrite, due to the horsepower required for the DSP algorithms
implemented in the V1 series, and now, re-written using different algorithms
that take up less horsepower, and the lockups.... are gone. Sure, there were
code lockup problems in the beginning of Orion V2 and Orion II, but those are
now gone. No more lockups.That is what happens when you are rushed to give the
public something, and they won't wait for it to be right.
Thank you TT for the re-write, it allows us Hams to really use this product to
its potential.
Remember, most problems that are seen now, are those that are resolved by the
operators fixing their hamshack, and not updating in code. grounding problems,
bad mics, and one of the most laughable ones... When they switch from one mic
to another, they blame TT that they now have to change the mic gain from their
tried and true value to something a few values up or down. What a joke. Go
complain about having to change a setting, when you change your HW.

I will rest on this point for now.

Seems it falls on deaf ears.

I can pull up hundreds in the archives, complaining of the lockups.
But I guess everyone forgets.

Bob Henderson <bob@5b4agn.net> wrote: Presentation is a powerful thing.  It can
triumph over substance.

Doug Smith wrote great DSP code for Orion.  I don't recall anyone
complaining about the DSP code Doug left behind.  Despite this, it was
abandoned in favour of a rewrite for V2.

If you ask me, which I grant you didn't, the baby went out with the bath
water.

I can't help but wonder, were you expecting 'insiders at TenTec' to say,
"Sheesh we're in big trouble here.  The only guy who understood the code
left us and we're struggling to get by."

After more than 18 months development time, V2 operating code is inferior in
several ways to the code it was written to supersede.

Orion has huge potential.  Regrettably, current operating code fails to
realise it.

Despite all of this, Orion with V1.37 code is still the highest performance
commercial transceiver available.

Bob, 5B4AGN

PS I am delighted that during your visits to your friend's shack, none of
these shortcomings have been noticed.  Long may he enjoy his Orion(s).