Re: [TenTec] On being a contrarian

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] On being a contrarian
From: "Ron" <ron@morell.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 20:18:13 -0600
Hello Lee,
I do use the SP and AN functions for SSB (the AN function when heterodynes
are present in the pass band).  Do not use the NR function much but have
experimented with it.  Generally I find ATTN, AGC, PBT, and filter settings
more useful than the NR function.  I agree with you that the version 1.xxx
software has a more useful NR function.  Have not found a real QSO
opportunity to experience the AN function fault as I've read it reported
here.  But then, I only operate about 15% SSB mode.  The SP function set at
3 with my Ten Tec model 706 provides a nice boost for my tenor voice.  No
complaints received only kudos.

I really like my ORION II.  I get to use a variety of other radios and they
do not really compare.  You keep TEN TEC informed of the deficiencies and
perhaps, maybe, some day, if we are lucky, they will perfect the nits and
blips and make all of us smile.

As to the QST review, I think given the amount of advertising TEN TEC buys
from QST, the reviewer did an exceptional job for them.  I did find it
unprofessional of the reviewer to reference the reflector in his review.  I
think this way because anyone can post anything on this reflector.  While
this might be useful from an Elmer point of view and may be useful to alert
others of operating methods and "gotchas", it is not a forum I take
seriously for reviewing a radio, because faults take up most of the
bandwidth, while virtues are taken for granted.  Only a few people generate
most of the traffic.  I notice that differing points of view and experiences
often deteriorate to a conflicted barrage of personal negatives.

But it is fun and recreational to read and participate in the reflector.  So
it is another aspect of the hobby and occasionally, even a thick headed HAM
like me, learns something.
Ron
KA7U