[TenTec] Computer control of the ORION

To: "TenTecReflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Computer control of the ORION
From: "Ron" <ron@morell.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:01:16 -0600
After using my ORION II for the time I've had it, I find that the N4PY
software makes the radio much nicer and more functional to use.  And, I do
mean MUCH NICER.  As I look at this radio and the generous cabinet, I can't
help but wonder why a computer could not fit inside the case with a
dedicated operating system for the radio, internet, and logging software.  A
fold down 19" LCD screen could replace the current screen and that would
provide room for additional controls and stuff.  Even the SDR 1000 has an
external black box to connect to a computer.  Why do we have to have all of
these parts and cables?  Why can't transverters for VHF / UHF be slide in
cards to upgrade the system?

I know that many users have functions that could be made better, but to me,
the main complaint with todays radios and the ORION, is the lack of system
integration, the lack of open archetecture, and the lack of open source
software.

The OMNI VII is coming with an IP control..  So what is the hold up on a
complete computer enhanced radio system in a box?  I mean the radio should
be able to do word processing and accept auxilliary hardware in card slots.

I guess I want the ORION HP or the Kenwood Toshiba.
Ron
KA7U