Re: [TenTec] Computer Control of the Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Computer Control of the Orion
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 22:40:14 -0500
Ron (KA7U) said:
"I mean the radio should be able to do word processing and accept auxilliary
hardware in card slots.

I guess I want the ORION HP or the Kenwood Toshiba."

Gee Ron, now I feel like I have low expectations for the Orion. After having it
for 2.5 years, I just want firmware for the Orion that has the functionality of
the Orion V1.373B5 (Notch filters that really remove the signal so the AGC
doesn't pump from the unwanted signal; speech processing that is really
effective; monitor audio that isn't distorted; etc - see two years of reflector
comments on the Orion issues.)  with the stability of my FT1000MP.  However,
with the Omni7 coming out, I suspect that the very limited TenTec software
resources have been and will be focused on the Omni 7.  I have a little hope
that the ARRL review of the Orion II may get us one more try at fixing the V2
Orion firmware in the next month or two - but that is just hope.

Given the redesign of the Orion radio functions between the V1 firmware and the
V2 firmware, I would be concerned that "Orion Word-Processing software" might
work in English on this release but only in "Sanskrit" in the next
release.......

Merle - W0EWM