Re: [TenTec] dual receive

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] dual receive
From: "D. Kemp" <nn8b@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
Be careful of connecting a receiver to the Aux Ant
jack.

I looked into doing just that, but checked the output
of the Aux Ant jack first.

I get 0.041VDC from that jack when the transmitter is
at 100 watts output. I used an RF sniffer circuit
commonly found for this purpose, and read it with a
Fluke 787.

I then thought that I could ground the Aux Ant jack
during transmit as was suggested by several folks. I
used the relay in the rig (Corsair II) that closes on
transmit and is connected to ground. Even when the Aux
Ant jack is grounded using this relay I got 0.021 VDC
on the jack.

I asked Ten Tec about using the Aux Ant jack for a
second receiver as the manual actually states and they
said they would NOT do that.

You must have some positive way to insure there is NO
feedback to the receiver when transmitting. I have not
tried an open contact yet; a N.C. contact that will
open on energization during transmit. That may require
an external relay or possibly rewiring the internal
relay if it has a N.C. contact.

I was going to use an RX320 as a second receiver. I am
now pursuing using a magnetic loop type antenna for
the RX320 and/or the Corsair II. Some type of positive
muting is still needed.

With the external PTO (VFO) I can receive 2 separate
signals at the same time for split operation on the
same band, but another receiver would permit cross
band operation.

73,

Don, NN8B