Re: [TenTec] Orion NB vs NR

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion NB vs NR
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:08:02 -0400
> The NR so far leaves much to be desired and, I say again, is
> significantly less effective than my Timewave DSP59+ (which
> has no NB function at all).

There are varying opinions on this.  NR characteristics differ depending on
the specific firmware release (pre 1.372, 1.372, 1.373Betas, v2 early, v2
current, etc).  And there has been a lot of discussion about why you should
not expect NR to do much on very narrow CW settings.

> information and measurements. Hank implied that apparently
> there are 2 AGC loops, one of which is not disabled when we
> users set AGC OFF.

There is an AGC control point in the analog front end to protect the ADC.
You can't turn that "off".  If you did, strong signals (I think it kicks in
at 9+30), could just overload the ADC and cause a terrible mess.  I also
suspect the DSP AGC isn't "Off" either, at least not in the same sense the
AGC in an analog radio is off.

Grant/NQ5T