Re: [TenTec] Orion NB vs NR

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion NB vs NR
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 15:51:35 -0600
I've been complaining about the poor audio. Eating some crow, and with
thanks to Merle Bone who pointed this out, I hadn't read the manual
correctly that the hardware NB is an off/on switch. So that's fixed and
the NB works fine.

On to NR. Listening to A61Q this AM on 17 his signal was really weak.
S-zero weak, but there. I could not copy him using Orion's NR at any
level. I could copy him with the DSP59+. So I still think the Timewave
has the edge for very weak signals.

On to strong signals. On 40 this AM the Asian OTH radar was in full
song. I found a combination of NB9, NR9, and hardware NB took the radar
out. Maybe not so pleasant to listen to, but made the 40 CW DX window
usable. As others have pointed out, there's no one setting that covers
it all.

Thanks to the many folks who have participated in this discussion. For
me, back to the AGC discussion.

73 Art