Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amp Woes

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amp Woes
From: "RB" <K9RB@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:26:45 -0400
Charley, It sounds to me likely to be a plate to grid short in one of the
3-500Z tubes rears it ugliness only intermittently, sitting idle. This is a
common mode of failure with old 3-500Z tubes. It could be accelerated by
higher than 5.0 filament voltage and/or poor cooling due to a sluggish fan /
blower and / or dirt obstructing the air flow path.

I suggest that you obtain and install a new pair of Premium Grade matched
Taylor Brand 3-500ZG-RFP tubes from RF Parts after getting the power supply
back in working order and you should be good to go for many years. (Best
bang for the buck on replacement 3-500Z's) Also insure that the filament
voltage is between 4.85 and 5.0 volts with no input/output load on the
tubes. This is a critical factor to 3-500Z tube longevity and if your line
voltage is a bit on the high side, the filament voltage can rise well above
5.0 Volts. ANY filament voltage above 5.0 Volts is indirectly proportional
to tube emission life due to a proportional increase of internal cathode
heat, even sitting idle in the standby mode. Insure that your air flow to
cool the tubes is not impeded by a slow running fan / blower, or
restrictions from dirt build up.

I also might suggest that with an amplifier using 3-500Z type "Instant On"
tubes, you will increase longevity of the tubes, as well as save on your
electric bill by turning the amplifier off whenever you do not anticipate it
use during the upcoming 10-15 minutes. Since the tubes require virtually no
warm up time, turning them off when not in use is a preferred mode of
operation. Just the 5 volts at 15 Amps of current to each tube calculates to
be 150 watts of wasted energy. Add the fan and HV transformer and you're
likely looking as 250 watts just in the standby mode that you have been
paying for, expended mostly in generating heat and contributing to shortened
component life.

By the way, I've not heard of any significant quantity of HV transformer
failures on the Centurion but if there is no secondary protection resistor
after the filter capacitors, and prior to the RF Choke feeding the tube
plates, there should be one. Usually a 10 ohm, 5 Watt wirewound ceramic unit
will do the job. Of course, another thing to check, and replace if they are
over 15 years old, is the electrolytic capacitors in the HV power supply.
They should have equalization resistors across each with a value of around
270K ohm at 10 watts.

73, & Good Luck!, Rog-K9RB