Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amp Woes

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion Amp Woes
From: "Carter, K8VT" <k8vt@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:42:29 -0400
RB wrote:
>  Charley, It sounds to me likely to be a plate to grid short in one of
>  the 3-500Z tubes rears it ugliness only intermittently, sitting idle.
>  This is a common mode of failure with old 3-500Z tubes.

I believe he said it was a NEW amplifier...although even "new" tubes can
develop a short.

>  It could be accelerated by higher than 5.0 filament voltage

This could be a possibility. I am the second owner of a ca. 1994
Centurion and my filament voltage was above 5.0 volts with "normal" line
voltage. My best guess was the filament windings should have had a turn
or two removed. As I was the second owner and did not want to invest in
a new  transformer (with no assurances that the new one would be any
better), I modified the rig by putting a resistor in series. This was
done 8 or 9 years ago and I still have my notes (but not right in front
of me) and it has been working well for all those years.

>  I suggest that you obtain and install a new pair of Premium Grade
>  matched Taylor Brand 3-500ZG-RFP tubes from RF Parts

again, a new amp. Hopefully his warranty is still in effect!

>  I also might suggest that with an amplifier using 3-500Z type
>  "Instant On" tubes, you will increase longevity of the tubes, as well
>  as save on your electric bill by turning the amplifier off whenever
>  you do not anticipate it use during the upcoming 10-15 minutes. Since
>  the tubes require virtually no warm up time, turning them off when
>  not in use is a preferred mode of operation.

In theory, this seems like a good idea. However, I thought I read that
the most "wear" on an incandescent filament (tube or lamp), occurs from
the surge when first turned on and can significantly -shorten- the life
of the filament. Comments?.