Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V and an amplifier

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut V and an amplifier
From: Greg S <oldlongbeard@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 16:59:55 -0700 (PDT)
Bob- I am going to suggest you look closely at selling the SB-200,
and looking at an SGC-500 Power Cube ampplifier, if it is in your
budget. I just ran mine at 20W input, and received 340W OUT on my
Telewave meter into a dummy load. THAT is useful gain. RF sensed
switching is built into these amps, (Of course you can use PTT also).
It is made in USA, and has operated flawlessly for me, using a large
lead acid battery as a power supply. It does not have QSK, but
neither does your Heathkit!! Good luck with your decision, in any
case.

73- Greg, KC8HXO

I am considering simplifying my shack a little.  I have an SB-200
currently not in use and was thinking of trying to drive it with my
Argonaut for those times when I need the power (Air Force MARS).
Does
anyone know of any issues with doing this and what sort of output
could
I expect with only 20 watts max of drive from the amplifier.  Are
there
better options to accomplish this?

Thanks and 73,
Bob