[TenTec] Orion and RF Feedback

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion and RF Feedback
From: "John K Gotwals" <john@gotwals.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 12:49:10 -0400
Ray, many thanks for your comments. I have already found that touching the
mike makes a difference, although that may just be the symptom of a more
serious grounding problem at this end. Radioworks
http://radioworks.com/nbgnd.html has an illuminating discussion of ground
problems, and my next step is to drill another hole through the window sill
and run a wire down a story and a half to a ground rod. In addition I will
try a counterpoise consisting of a 1/4 wavelength (at 40 meters) piece of
hookup wire strung down the hall to determine its affect on my problem. W2DU
choke filters between the Matchbox and amplifier and between the amplifier
and Orion appear to have helped lessen the problem.

John, N9JG
Message: 11