Re: [TenTec] Orion and RF Feedback

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and RF Feedback
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 17:03:49 -0400
This is correct.....a quarter wave will be a bad thing.  Either you have to
be significantly less than a quarter wave, or, tuned at a half wave (which
will reflect the low impedance of the ground into the shack).  That gives
you a low impedance in the shack.  That will ground it.  Of course, that
half wave may radiate some energy also, kind of like certain types of
antennas, you will then have two radiating segments perhaps.  This is
generally not a bad thing.

If you have half waves on every band, then you won't have any band where you
don't have a low impedance in the shack.  Of course, once the frequency gets
low enough, then you can have a wire significantly less than a quarter wave,
and no issues on that band.

You can also use the quarter wave counterpoise wires like some people do.
This will give you a low impedance point also, but as is well known, they
have their own sets of problems.

Basically, between shielding, grounding, and especially isolating of every
single wire into and out of every box, you ought to be able to beat the
problem down.

73 de Gary, AA2IZ