Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Noise Reduction Setting
From: Lin Davis <linbdavis@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:16:07 -0500
Hi Kim,

Back in the spring, many of us posted here regarding the NR. As Grant
suggested,
you can check out the archives. There's good (historical?) information there.

The manual section regarding NR usage describes how to use the original NR
filter that was implemented by Doug Smith. That implementation is long gone, so
the text is non-applicable, for the most part.

Charles said:

 >  Under the same conditions when the NR is on
 > in any position I have raspy CW reception. Do
 > you experience the same with your Orion II NR?
 >
 >  Charles, K0CW

Charles, tighten up the BW around the signal, especially if it is weak. I
believe the raspiness is the NR-created intermodulation product of the signal
and noise within the passband. The less noise power in the passband (smaller
bandwidth), the less intermod power produced.

Kim noted how keeping the BW below 1240 Hz helps for CW. I go to 500hz by
default and the weaker the signal, the narrower I make it.

Kim said:

 > When I turn down the RF gain and crank the audio gain wide open
 > (essentially using the RF Gain as the volume control) I can detect
 > the superimposed noise at NR settings above about 5 at 600 Hz
 > bandwidth. This effect vanishes when the bandwidth is set to ~400 Hz
 > or less. That said, at such RF Gain settings I see no reason to use
 > any NR because everything is pretty quiet.

The more aggressive the NR setting, the more non-linear it is, which increases
the intermodulation product power, so a narrower BW is needed.

In my opinion, the best way to use the NR for weak signals is to keep the BW
tight, as mentioned, (less than 600hz for CW and 2400 for SSB) and decrease RF
gain until the noise becomes noticeably attenuated. This is the point where the
NR creates the most difference between the signal and the noise. It is a
threshold area of sorts.

Good luck,
Lin
WB1AIW